So here I am at the dawn of a new year of life….aahhhh 29. The last year before the big 3-0, the last year of my 20s, a year of reflection, a year of progression, a year of endless possibilities. So I must admit… boy was I sad on July 5 this year. I cried for about 20 minutes and couldn’t really explain why. I thought I would definitely be at a different place at 29. Married, kids maybe, but definitely owning some property and getting my piece of the American Dream, but alas Isaiah 55 8-9 began to resonate within me and so I had to know that my ways are NOT HIS ways and I have to be okay with where I am in life. Furthermore, Jeremiah 29:11 gives me the comfort in knowing that God has already planned my life before I came into this world. So after that I decided to shake it off, because there is someone in this world who will never know what it feels like to be 29! All that being said… I decided to make 29 a little different. First things first, I spent part of my bday getting rid of old clothes and things that I no longer needed. That was soooo cathartic. Shout out to my mentee Mia for the help! Next I finalized my list: the list of things that I was going to do at 29 that would help shape the rest of my life…. I borrowed some of the list from The Purposed Princess Blog and some of my list is just things I’ve always wanted to do and try so here it goes… My 29 at 29 (in no particular order)
1. Take better care of my temple – that whole you are what you eat thing is true, so I’m going to start eating much better.
2. Pray more – I totally believe in prayer and I’m going to do it more than I do now.
3. Cook more – save me some money and some pounds #FTW
4. Learn to say no – so…. I’m always saying yes. Kinda feel like Bey in the song where she says “it’s like the first time I said no, it’s like I never said yes”.
5. Take a class JFF (just for fun) – tennis, zumba, hot yoga, painting, and whatever else my heart desires.
6. Exercise regularly – I am definitely going to let this trifling spirit of not exercising go, my health depends on it so I’m gonna stop the excuses and just jump on it.
7. Learn to swim, ride a bike or maybe both – so yes I never learned to ride a bike but it’s never too late to learn right?
8. Walk in a race for something: AIDS, Autism, Lupus, Breast Cancer – these are just some of the issues that affect our community and I want to show my support for the cause.
9. Say something – so I have this thing with expressing my feelings, but I’m going to truly practice saying something!
10. Travel two places I’ve never been before
11. Send people cards in the mail – so for my birthday this year I received two cards in the mail and I thought it was the sweetest thing! So I’m gonna be that sweet to others too :-).
12. Unplug from technology – sometimes you just need a break from it all.
13. Read at least one book a month for pleasure.
14. Cut the straight pieces out of my hair or maybe even do a BC (big chop).
15. Blog/ journal more – I got stuff to say.
16. Lose 20 – 25 pounds – yes I’m still fighting with the scale, but this year I will be triumphant.
17. Get a passport.
18. Take a road trip somewhere.
19. Go hiking up a trail – I love nature, but I hate bugs.
20. Begin working on my book.
21. Develop my new hobby of painting.
22. Continue mentoring young people.
23. Treat myself to something nice on a regular basis.
24. Go at least one month without eating meat.
25. Become more organized
26. Finish scrapbooking
27. Love others as God loves me
28. Create a personal mission statement for my life.
29. Let go and Let God…. I’ll just lay back, kick it, and enjoy the ride!
There are already things that I do in my daily life that didn’t make this list. So those things will continue and I will just add these 29 things to everything else and continue to grow in God’s grace and love.